• Susan Smith

      PEG is in so many foods, coconut milk, certain oils, chocolate, salad dressings. It is sprayed on apples and citrus fruit, is in cottage cheese as a deforming agent, and so many more. It is in almost all products the Body Shop. It is in many baked goods. It seems ubiquitous!

      • How did you find out about all of the PEG in foods when it is not listed? Did you go back to manufacturers and question them or is there a website where you found this information. The reason I ask is that I am wondering if it is in all coconut milk or certain ones. I put some of a can of low fat coconut milk that doesn’t list any sort of PEG ingredients listed on the can in my cereal this morning and shortly after, I had a headache, a lump in my throat and my lips are tingling. I just sent an email to the manufacturer of the milk. However, you can’t do that for every product on the market if you haven’t tried it yet. There must be a better way.

        • I would avoid coconut milk – and even the cereal – until I was sure I hadn’t developed a new allergy. Tingling lips is an indication of a serious, life-threatening reaction and not safe to mess with. Do you carry an epi-pen? If you get tingling in your throat or lips after eating ANYTHING, you should carry an epi-pen and know how to use it. If you need to use it, you should get to a doctor within hours after using it. DON’T RISK YOUR LIFE!

          If it’s a food, the ingredients are required to be on the label, but if the ingredients have been processed with a solvent or chemical that the FDA says does not leave significant amounts of the solvent or chemical in the food, it won’t be on the label. KerryKuzak may know more about this specifically because I think she’s done some exploration on solvents.

          The answer, from my perspective, would be to contact the manufacturer.

          Sometimes we find out that things are processed with solvents by seeing a competing product labeled ‘no solvents used in the processing of this food,’ or something similar.

          Often you’ll find products that are made by companies that have a commitment to clean, natural ingredients, but you still must read the labels, because glycols are considered as GRAS: ‘Generally Recognized As Safe,’ so even natural products companies will sometimes use them.
          There are deodorants on market that say “no propylene glycol” on the label, yet caprylyl or polyethylene glycol are the first ingredient.

          Please take care and let us know what you find out.

        • I just saw this article and it might be helpful. Produce grown in some areas of California is watered with oilfield wastewater, which could have all kinds of fun chemicals in it.

        • I too developed tingling and a rash in my mouth with certain foods, especially non organic grapes, apples and nectarines and I did go on to have a severe reaction where I ended up using my daughters Epipen though I had taken a medication several hours before which contained PEG so I’m not sure if it was something in the food that I ate at a function or the medication I took. I now have my own Epipen which I carry everywhere. I eat organic fruit and veg as much as possible and I avoid processed foods as much as I can as some of the food additives irritate my gut and give me irritable bowel symptoms. Emulsifers seem to be a problem and from a bit of research I see that they may be prepared using PEG or propylene glycol. The less processed foods I eat the better I feel, its not fun.I have seen 2 different allergist but I’m not reacting to their skin prick tests of PEG so have been advised to just avoid it which is very diifuclt. Good luck and look into getting an Epipen!

        • You might try getting tested for other glycols, as well as xylitol, maltitol, or other ‘sugar alcohols.’ Glycols are in a chemical category called sugar alcohols, and ‘natural’ sweeteners are often in that category.

          Keep us posted on what you find out.

        • paulandcherylbrummett

          I have been avoiding coconut milk and have stopped several hair products and cosmetics since I last wrote. I am gaining better understanding and having many more good days. I am not sure that I am allergic to polyethylene glycol. I definitely am sensitive or intolerant and have a toxic overload. I was tested by my allergist to be sensitive to oatmeal and told I could eat it a couple of time a week. I think I am now allergic to it.

          I don’t think I am getting the tingling right after eating something. I think it is always delayed. But I am trying to pay better attention to that.

          I am also having problems with polyester fabrics. I cannot stand the fuzzy 100% polyester fabrics against my skin. I seem to be able to tolerate some percentages of polyester though in my clothes. I am trying to wear 100% cotton as much as I can but I don’t have that much that is.

          Thanks for all of your help and comments.

        • Brenda

          I have a problem with polyester too. When I do wear it, I wear a cotton camisole under it. It seems to help me. I try to wear cotton most of the time.

        • I am doing ok with things I can wear cotton under, like tops. I just recently bought all new socks. I am having a hard time finding warm enough cotton pants to wear for this season on our Social Security Income. I am having most success from thrift stores.

        • Billie Stephens

          I have learned that coconut is often processed with sulfites.

        • Hi Billie, Thanks for the info. I haven’t heard that, but I haven’t noticed since I don’t react to sulfites. Have you found a company that processes it without sulfites?
          Let us know if you do.

        • Hi Billie
          Some coconut milk has polysorbate in it which is a PEG derivative, I buy brands that don’t have any additives. Not sure about the sulphites but definitely the polysorbate disagrees with me.
          Hope this helps